Something that has been hard for me from the beginning of this Whole 30 journey is COFFEE! You see, I am not addicted to coffee because I NEED it to wake up, it is more something that I love to drink in the morning just because it makes me feel comfy cozy and HAPPY! You know…like it makes me think about a day when hubby and I will sit on the porch and drink coffee together reading the paper (if they still have those then). When we started Whole 30…we started trying SO many different things to see if I could find a cup that I enjoyed drinking:)
I tried it black…BLAH!!!! I tried it with some canned coconut milk (that is the best kind, BTW) because “they” said it would taste good and sweet…BLAH! (although my hubby liked it this way) I tried it with honey (post whole 30)…with agave, which was pretty good…but still not great. I even tried a little dairy creamer every once in awhile to really enjoy my coffee. Well, I was reading in one Paleo cookbook at Barnes and Noble on a date night with my cute hubby:) (yes…we usually go to bookstores on date nights…because we both are book collectors!) Anyway, in the cookbook it talked about coconut sugar and I mentioned it to hubby…he happened to find the Madhava brand at Walmart and people….it is WONDERFUL!
He also found some Madhava Organic Vanilla Syrup at HEB in Austin with no super bad stuff (that I know of…I am still new to this) in it. And lastly…So Delicious, dairy free coconut milk creamer!! I
know…you might say…wow, that is a lot of things to put in your coffee!! But, let me just say, I don’t ALWAYS put ALL of them in…but the combo of a little coconut sugar and coconut creamer is wonderful! And on special days…add the syrup:) Either way, it is better than dairy and real sugar, right? Finally I look forward to my coffee…that I drink to make me feel cozy. It truly doesn’t make me have more energy…THAT I get from my Ningxia Red (Ninja) Juice🙂
What is your favorite way to drink your coffee??
Week 5! Or should it be called…THE FINAL DAYS!! I really can’t believe that there are only 2 more days. I have mixed emotions…one side says…yay…I can choose to have a little honey or flavored creamer in my coffee if I want!! The other side is scared and doesn’t really know what the next step is…what do I do now? I don’t want to mess up all that I have worked for in the past 30 days!
I did some reading to see what was recommended and Whole 30 recommends adding back in the different groups each week (I think for one day each week and then 6 days break) to see how your body reacts and feels when you have those things. Then you can recognize what symptoms you have and what can be causing them. They also recommend that after that, you stick with a plan similar to the whole 30, but don’t have to be SUPER strict with things like a little added sugar in meat or possibly making some gluten free pizza crust and on special occasions, choose to eat homemade cookies. For us, we started this journey to not only reset our bodies, but also to hopefully lose some excess weight and gain more health and fitness. So, we plan on sticking to the program with a couple little tweaks (mainly adding a little sugar in & maybe making some gluten free treats every once in a while). If we get too out of hand though, we will have to get right back on track! Here are our last 2 days!
- Breakfast: Fried egg, fried shredded sweet potatoes and tomatoes
- Lunch: Natural beef hot dog with turkey lunch meat, sauerkraut, olives, carrots and celery
- Dinner: Chicken sausage, sweet potato chips and spinach salad with tomatoes, olives and homemade ranch dressing
- Breakfast: Fried eggs, spinach, onion, bell pepper & sweet potato scramble (I have to admit, I am a little OVER the scramble for a little while)
- Lunch: We didn’t have any left overs or lunch meat, so I used canned white chicken and make chicken salad (homemade mayo, white pepper, salt) over tomatoes and cantaloupe
- Dinner: Our LAST official meal…we made our very favorite! Plantain nachos from Well Fed 2 with guacamole. Seriously…SO GOOD!
Stay tuned…next up…FINAL RESULTS of our first WHOLE 30!!
Week 4! I cannot believe we are over half way done. This week was better in some ways than week 3…we have kind of gotten into the habit of cooking every meal and feel comfortable with what we can and cannot have. Emotionally I was a little better this week, but still had moments where I had to think about why I was feeling the way I was feeling. This is the first week that I felt like I was starting to see a little bit of physical change too…and A LOT of physical change for my hubby! I think he even put on a shirt one size smaller…those crazy men:)
- Breakfast: Frittata with fruit
- Lunch: Salmon cakes from Well Fed 2 (leftovers), green olives and tomato and cucumber salad with balsamic vinegar
- Dinner: Plantain Nachos with lettuce, tomatoes and jalapenos also from Well Fed 2
- Breakfast: Frittata and fruit
- Lunch: Well Fed 2 Ruben Roll Ups with roast beef instead of corned beef, salad and Well Fed 2 russian dressing
- Dinner: I can’t find it, sorry! 🙁
- Breakfast: Frittata and fruit
- Lunch: Left over sauerkraut from yesterday’s reuben roll ups, turkey lunch meat, sweet potato fries and olives
- Dinner: Chicken sausage (from Costco), steamed carrots and salad
- Breakfast: Frittata and Strawberries
- Lunch: Ate lunch out with Mom after taking the boys to the movies…where again I didn’t eat popcorn 🙂 We ate at Cafe Express and I had to go through the whole thing and ended up with Salmon with steamed broccoli and green beans with a relish (all compliant)…my only complaint was there was WAY to much olive oil…but, not too bad for eating out…and it was AMAZING because I didn’t have to cook it!
- Dinner: Tomato meat sauce (homemade and yes…no sugar) with zucchini for noodles. We have tried spaghetti squash and now we have tried zucchini. They were harder to slice/shred (whatever you call it), but overall they tasted better than I thought that they would.
Day 26 (Fourth of July)
- Breakfast: Fried egg, chicken & apple sausage (not my favorite) and spinach, sweet potato, mushroom & bell pepper scramble
- Lunch: We had family in town to celebrate the 4th of July, so we had grilled (turkey/beef) burgers, vegetables (they had dressing to dip) and fruit kabobs. It was SUPER yummy!
- Dinner: Dinner we had to eat on the way to the ballpark, we were going to watch a game and see fireworks and we didn’t want to mess up our plan. We had chicken sausages, steamed broccoli & carrots (and one fruit kabob). We made it through feeding our children and all the awesome food around us…without eating it!!
- Breakfast: We were meeting family early, so my hubby packed me a fried egg, a chicken sausage (that I didn’t eat) and a bag of carrots. I forgot to take a pic because we were SUPER rushed and I was having a hard enough time getting everyone out of the house 🙂
- Lunch: We ate out with my family and I had to be the person that asked a million questions, but I had a chicken salad with some grilled veggies and avocado. They didn’t have any salsa or dressing without sugar, so I just squeezed a lemon on my salad…and it was SUPER tasty!
- Dinner: We ate at my parents house and my mom made grilled chicken (just herbs to season), sweet potato fries, salad and fresh green beans with olive oil.
- Breakfast: Fried eggs, spinach, mushroom, bell pepper, jalapeno scramble and watermelon
- Lunch: OH MY GOODNESS! I had bought wings to make for my hubby for the holiday weekend and he decided to make them since I wasn’t feeling that great. He used Megan’s Buffalo Chicken Wings recipe…and they were SO delicious! Seriously…so good!! Way to go Megan and thank you for sharing! And to top it off…we finally found a Whole 30 compliant Ranch Dressing from Paleo Grubs (seriously…almost tastes like the real thing)
- Dinner: We were back at my parents house and she made fajitas for everyone and we had the fajita meat on salad with some fruit for dessert. (sorry i forgot to take a pic)
We made it to Week 3! Week 3 was harder than week 2, but more for emotional reasons versus withdrawals 🙂 I realize for me, being a girl that a lot of my food issues are related to emotions. If you think about it…we celebrate…with eating, if you feel bad…you eat…if you go out with friends…you eat…if there is a holiday…you eat…you see what I am saying! A lot of social things revolve around food and I noticed this week that I missed eating some of my “favorite bad foods”…specifically in the afternoon or after dinner when I would usually “reward” myself with an indulgent snack. There were a couple of days that I allowed myself a small snack…like nuts or fruit, but mostly I just reminded myself that what I am striving for is SO much greater than what I want right now (the food or snack). That is HUGE progress for me!
Another reason Week 3 was hard…I was tired of eating the same thing! It wasn’t REALLY the same thing…but coming up with different vegetables EACH meal is a lot of vegetables. I did go ahead and purchase Well Fed 2 by Melissa Joulwan and that has helped SO MUCH! We have made so many of her recipes in her book and they are all SO good!! Seriously…SO GOOD!!
- Breakfast: Fried egg, Turkey lunch meat, tomatoes, carrots and watermelon
- Lunch: I can’t remember…and can’t find the picture 🙁
- Dinner: Plantain Nachos from Well Fed 2 with guacamole (THESE ARE AMAZING!!)
- Breakfast: Frittata with Fruit
- Lunch: Turkey lunch meat, sauerkraut, sweet potato with ghee, olives, horseradish mustard mayo sauce and fruit
- Dinner: It was a Girls Night Dinner and Event, so I packed my own Taco Salad to eat with them at the restaurant (because I was still too scared to order out) and fruit and nuts to have in case I was tempted by the cute & sugary snacks that were bound to be there 🙂 But, good news, I didn’t even need my fruit and nuts…it was totally fine!
- Breakfast: Frittata and fruit
- Lunch: Taco Salad with Lettuce and Mango
- Dinner: Turkey Burgers, Sweet Potato Fries (one of our favorites), condiments (sauteed onions, tomatoes, pickles, olives and avacado
- Breakfast: Frittata and fruit
- Lunch: Turkey burger with mustard, sauerkraut, olives, cucumber and tomato salad with the Tessemaes Raspberry Vinaigrette (which was pretty good)
- Dinner: Well Fed 2 BBQ Beef, sauteed onions, sweet potato fries and cole slaw (which is really hard to make without sugar)
- Breakfast: Frittata with fruit
- Lunch: Well Fed 2 – Reuben Roll Ups…except with Turkey lunchmeat (SERIOUSLY SO TASTY), steamed carrots and olives
- Dinner: Chicken Sausages with Spinach and Red Bell Pepper from COSTCO, sweet potato fries and steamed broccoli
- Breakfast: Fried Eggs, Mushroom, Spinach and Bell Pepper Scramble, fruit
- Lunch: Turkey lunch meat with onions sauteed with Tessemaes BBQ sauce (which was pretty good…very vinegary…but that seems to be a theme with their whole 30 sauces)
- Dinner: All natural beef hot dogs, sauerkraut, grilled onions and squash with Well Fed 2 homemade ketchup (which is SO GOOD) and store bought mustard
- Sauce: Homemade Whole 30 Mayo
- Breakfast: Fried Eggs, Mushroom, Spinach and shredded Sweet Potatoes
- Lunch: Well Fed 2 Plantain Nachos (OUR FAVORITE) with Mangos and Jalepenos
- Dinner: Well Fed 2 / Whole 30 Salmon Cakes, homemade tartar sauce and steamed broccoli (They were SO yummy!)
Week 2 of WHOLE 30!! We made it through the first week…made it through another weekend of prepping for week 2. Day 8 was “on-the-go”, so we had to be prepared. We had VBS at church in the morning for the first 3 days…which means that I come home at 12:30 starving and exhausted. I have to confess that I picked something up for my kiddos and had my lunch pre-made so I could just eat it when I got home. On Day 8, we had another family get together to celebrate my father in law and we brought our own food:) It wasn’t too bad 🙂
- Breakfast: The Breakfast Frittata with Fruit
- Lunch: Taco Salad and Fruit
- Dinner: Chicken Sausage with Spinach and Red Peppers, Steamed Carrots and Broccoli
- Breakfast: Frittata and fruit
- Lunch: Taco Salad again 🙂 (although I did realize that we could use salsa for dressing…which made my hubby SO excited!!)
- Dinner: Baked Tilapia, fried plantains, guacamole and mango
We tried fish for the first time and it was pretty tasty…but a little fishy:( So we will have to try something different next time! But, I am proud that we branched out and tried new things:)
- Breakfast: Frittata and Fruit
- Lunch: Taco Salad “ish” again…I told you…rough first 3 days of the week 🙁
- Dinner: Grilled Chicken with spaghetti sauce (no sugar) with Kale chips and Sweet Potato fries and tomato/cucumber salad
- Breakfast: Egg scramble with spinach, chicken sausage with red bell peppers and spinach and fruit
- Lunch: Grilled chicken with mayo and white pepper on top of lettuce, cantaloupe and a few almonds
- Dinner: Tilapia with Almond Meal baked, fresh green beans, steamed carrots and tarter sauce (the fish was WAY better this way:))
- Breakfast: Two fried eggs with spinach & mushroom scramble
- Lunch: Grilled chicken over lettuce, cantaloupe, sliced apples and almonds
- Snack: I found out we could have dill pickles (w/o sugar), olives, nuts…so I had a few after lunch (So yummy!)
- Dinner: Cauliflower Pizza crust thanks to Just Jessie B, marinara sauce, browned turkey, mushroom, onions and red bell peppers that were sauteed and added to the top of the pizza
The crust wasn’t as crunchy as I had wanted, but it was super tasty! I know that it is “frowned upon” to re-create things that you loved before Whole 30 with a replacement. But, I felt like it was okay since we were having family night and needed a little variety!
- Breakfast: Egg scramble with chicken sausage and red bell peppers
- Lunch: Grilled chicken, avocado, lettuce and spinach with salsa (no sugar)
- Dinner: Lettuce tacos with taco meat, tomatoes, carrots, jalapenos and salsa
- Breakfast: Fried egg, avocado, tomato and jalapeno with cantaloupe
- Lunch: We made Well Fed’s Reuben Roll ups with Roast beef because we couldn’t find corned beef with out sugar. It is SO tasty and even changed my husband’s dislike of sauerkraut! We added green olives and had a spinach and strawberry salad with Balsamic Vinegar dressing.
- Dinner: Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Well Fed’s meat balls and spaghetti sauce (without sugar)
After the super long prep day and ALL the shopping…we were ready to begin our Whole 30 journey! Day 1-3 was easier than I thought they would be in some areas and harder in other areas.
- WHAT we could eat 🙂 The rules are pretty strict, so we knew what we could eat. And because of the planning, we knew mostly what we were going to be eating.
- WHEN we could eat. The rules says that we are only suppose to eat 3 times a day (ideally). We could have snacks, but not unless super necessary!
- Enjoying the taste of what we were eating:( Everything we made was fresh, real and good foods…but, NO SUGAR…which is in ALMOST EVERYTHING! So, your taste buds have to change and get use to the non-sugar taste of things.
- NO SUGAR:( Did I say that you can’t have any sugar of any kind yet? No sugar, No sugar substitutes, No stevia, No honey, No agave…zip, nada, nothing! And like I said in the first point…SUGAR IS IN EVERYTHING!! You might think I am a little crazy, but here are a few things that I have found that might surprise you: Bacon, Taco Seasoning, Garlic Salt, Seasoning Salt, Lunch meat, Spaghetti Sauce, Roasted Nuts, breakfast sausage….and the list goes on!
- Drinking only Water and Enough Water:( When your sugar is limited, you can’t really drink anything other than water. You would think that would make you drink a LOT more…and it does…but you have to remind yourself to drink it ALL THE TIME, so that you get ENOUGH!! And maybe not in day 1-3…but sometimes the taste of water really lacks what I used to love in my super ice cold Coke over ice…mmmm.
- Cooking EVERY meal:( It is good that Whole 30 promises that you will have more energy…because you will need it for all the cooking and prepping that you will need to do. We have found some ways to cut down on the amount of meals that we cook, but it still is a lot more time then you have previously spent in the kitchen!
- The headaches:( Day 1 was going along just fine…with a few times during the day that I wish I could have gone and got a snack (bad habits). We ate dinner and BOOM…my head felt like it was going to explode!! I don’t know that I have had a headache that bad in my whole life:( Hubby was sweet enough to let me go lay down why he took care of the kiddos. I used every oil I could think of for my headache and even resorted to taking Tylenol (NSCM remember…no judgement). I finally slept for a few hours and when I woke up at like 1 AM my head was SO MUCH BETTER! The bad news was that hubby had “caught” my headache at 1 AM and his lasted through the night until the next day. He even puked a few times (don’t freak out…he does that sometimes…sorta weird). Day 2 we both had headaches, but NOTHING compared to Day 1…and Day 3…they were gone! It probably doesn’t help that I tried to drink all the Coke that we had left in the frig so that I wouldn’t be tempted 🙁 I DO NOT recommend that!
- Drink: Water with Lemon, Orange or Lime Oil
- Breakfast: First Ever Frittata (eggs, mushroom, onion, spinach), watermelon and cantaloupe
- Lunch: Chicken Salad (cubed grilled chicken, grapes, homemade mayo) on top of salad greens with tomatoes, carrots and red bell peppers with a little spicy avocado dressing
- Dinner: Grilled chicken and onions over salad greens with tomatoes, bell pepper and avocado with spicy avocado dressing. Fruit was mango, strawberry with shredded (non-sweetened) coconut on top.
- Breakfast: Same Frittata as Day 1 with watermelon slices
- Lunch: Grilled chicken with French’s yellow mustard, sauteed yellow squash, mushrooms, onions and watermelon and cantaloupe
- Dinner: Taco meat (with homemade seasonings b/c of sugar) over salad greens, tomatoes, carrots, avocado and no dressing.
- Oil: En-R-Gee to give me just that…more ENERGY!
- Breakfast: Day 3 of Frittata with watermelon and first try at black coffee with coconut milk (BLAH!)
- Lunch: Taco Salad (left-overs), salad greens with tomatoes, carrots and avocado with fruit (not pictured)
- Dinner: Grilled Chicken with sauteed squash, zucchini and mushrooms with watermelon and strawberries
- Oil: NingXia Red Drink – just a ounce or two to give additional nutrients and energy
I have included a free recipe for a Breakfast Frittata…that is my lifesaver for making it through breakfast each week!
Download your free 4×6 recipe card here:)
Let me know how your Day 1-3 has gone!! Don’t worry…the rest of the week gets better…NO HEADACHES!